Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR?

By truer reckoning, it's 28 Tevet and the year is 5771. There's no doubt in my mind that the Jewish calendar is more accurate, but some of us have enough trouble with a leap year coming along every four years. To deal with Adar II and then other changes every 19th year would push us over the edge. So, my fellow blogsters, Happy New Year! Or Happy Current Year! Did you make any New Year's resolutions? Me neither. I find few uses of the word "resolve" and its derivatives in the NIV translation of the Bible, but two stand out. When the apostle Paul went to the early Christian church in Corinth, he said, "I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Everything pales in comparison to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ made a resolution once. "As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem" (Luke 9:51, emphasis added). What Paul resolved to know, Jesus resolved to do. If I make any resolution for this year I want it to echo Paul's--whatever 2011 or the rest of 5771 brings. Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment